Friday, May 13, 2011

Who is the Girl in the Purple Polo?

Who is the Girl in the Purple Polo?  The school year is almost over, and for me, my college career is officially drawing to a close. But before I go, I have a question to answer. Before the reveal, I want to thank you for being a part of my most memorable experience at LSU-- Residential Life and this blog. And, for the last time, let me relive some of my experiences as a student.

During my time at LSU, I’ve learned what it means to bleed purple and gold. I recall the first exciting moments viewing the campus, and I’ll forever savor the feeling of finishing my final class. I’ve witnessed three national championships. I’ve screamed my heart out in tiger stadium. I’ve held my breath as Chad Jones pitched in the bottom of an inning. I even cried when at the first loss I witnessed in tiger stadium.
The win bar in the locker room at Tiger Stadium taken during a tour.
I’ve witnessed jubilation and tragedy on this campus.  I’ve seen the nervous, excited anticipation of thousands of prospective students. I too, have felt that same joy and anticipation. I remember my first moment walking into my res hall room, and I remember my last moment hugging my RA and handing my key back in.

The first look at my freshman room in Acadian-- A moment I'll always remember.

My freshman room part way through the semester. Can you tell I love pink?
I’ve felt the winds and utter destruction of hurricane  Gustav, and I saw the unity of an incredible community coming together to help one another. I’ve mourned the loss of my fellow students. I’ve laughed till I couldn’t breathe rolling down the Indian Mounds. I lost some friends, but gained 92,463 new ones. I’ve watched  the demolition of old buildings, and I’ve been the first to walk through the door of new ones.
Students venture out the morning after Gustav. LSU's campus has its own emergency power supply, and served as a hub for the Baton Rouge community. The 459 Commons offered meals, and residents and staff volunteered countless hours.
 I’ve learned to like crawfish, and I have fallen in love with Louisiana’s amazing culture. I’ve danced in the pouring rain, and ventured across Highland River. I’ve watched as my peers performed their talents in concerts, debates, and performances, and I’ve had the unfailing support of my fellow classmates in my endeavors.  I've embraced the chimes of the clock tower, and memorized the words to our alma mater. I’ve failed tests, and crammed papers. I’ve listened to top-notch researchers, and I’ve  presented my own ideas to knowledgeable scholars. I’ve learned, I’ve lived, I’ve grown, I’ve failed, I’ve succeeded, and ultimiately I became the capable, ever-learning graduate I am today.  
A beautiful sunset during my freshman spring invitational-- still one of my favorite views on campus.


So who am I? My name is Jennifer, and I am a soon to be LSU alumna with a bachelor’s degree in Marketing. I am forever in love with LSU football and everything purple and gold. I am from Denver, Colorado, but will always see Baton Rouge as my second home.
But who am I really? It’s not so important. I’m just one of the thousands of black caps and gowns that will be wandering around campus next Friday.  I’m still slightly nervous to enter the real world, but I know  that LSU has prepared me well. I know that  I will forever bleed purple and gold, and that my identity at LSU does not end here. I am one alumna and every alumni.
So what happens next? While I may be graduating, a whole new class of LSU students will enter this fall and embark on their own adventure. I've left my blog in capable hands of the next mystery purple polo, who is sure to bring even more exciting updates, posts and advice.
From here, I want to give one final thank you to LSU, Residential Life, and to every person who has contributed to the best four years of my life.

xoxo-- Girl in the Black Cap and Gown (with a purple polo underneath)

No comments:

Post a Comment