Thursday, May 26, 2011

Passing of the Purple Polo

The Girl in the Purple Polo has graduated and moved on (congratulations to her!!!), so the time has come for a new person to take up wearing this revered garment. As a newcomer not just to LSU, but also to Louisiana, I do not yet bleed purple and gold, but after a week on campus, I am beginning to think that I soon will. I hope that you will stick with me as I learn all about LSU and Baton Rouge, because neither is anything like I expected.

It took me three planes, a bus, and two cars to get here. My first impression upon stepping out of the airport: It is HOT in Baton Rouge! As someone from about 1800 miles northeast, I was not prepared for the choking humidity you all have down here! But, putting that aside, the LSU campus is BEAUTIFUL! Every morning I wake up and ask myself how I managed to get here.... two months ago I was trudging through snow and ice, and now I can't stop sweating or smiling.

My first few days were a whirlwind of tours and greetings- People here are so friendly! At first, I had no idea where I was or what I was doing. Now, I still don’t really know what I’m doing, but I think that I can at least navigate around campus without a map. The trick is to just go walk around- get lost and find your way back to where you started. Ask for directions if you need them, but don’t be afraid to just wander around campus for a few hours (make sure to wear sunscreen though, I learned that the hard way). I saw so many cool buildings and places my first weekend, and now I can mostly find my way around.

Here are some of my favorite places so far:


The LSU Student Union- I love that the Union offers so many food choices!
It's a great place to sit down, grab a bite, cool off, and read a good book. The recent renovations are beautiful too.

The Memorial Oak Grove- This space is breathtaking! I love all the shady oak trees.
The Oak Grove is also really close to my res hall, so I've enjoyed sitting out under the trees in the evenings just to relax.

Mike the Tiger- How awesome is it that there is a real tiger living right here on campus?!
Mike has to be my favorite part of LSU so far... and like me, he enjoys a good nap when it gets hot out.

Tiger Stadium- I grew up in Ohio, and absolutely LOVE football. The place where I've spent the last 5 years has a horrible team though (and a tiny stadium), so it is fantastic to be somewhere with such a rich football history.... Geaux Tigers!


These are a few of my favorite places on campus so far...  Now I ask, reader, where are yours?

xoxo-- Girl in the Purple Polo

No comments:

Post a Comment