Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sometimes it really is easy being green...

Hi reader!
Have you started packing for your move to campus yet? If you are anything like me, you have. And you have a very specific plan for how you are going to get everything you want to bring to school in your car. Trust me, I understand. I flew down here with only three suitcases- sure, one was dedicated almost entirely to shoes, but I still managed to bring clothes, towels, dishes, a hair dryer and straightener, an iron, and much more. I'm a packing Houdini.

One of the tricks to packing effectively is making sure that the things you bring are A. Things you really need (yes, I need all those shoes and my iron) and B. Things that have multiple uses. I didn't even think about bringing down my favorite fancy heels that only match one dress. Instead I brought the cute pair that goes with everything. That's efficiency, my friend. Another part of efficient packing (and living) is sustainability.

Okay, hear me out. I'm not one of those "go green" fanatics who has a vegetable oil car or anything. I admire those who can live in that way, and the technology behind green products can be really interesting, but I am a creature of habit. I still drink my skinny iced caramel macchiato from Starbucks every morning (don't judge- it's delicious and I can't function before 10am without it). I can't completely change my lifestyle, and I don't expect you to either. I am an avid believer, however, in doing the little things that we can, when we can, to live responsible lives. And the truth of the matter is that some of those "go green" tips actually make your life easier. Don't believe me? You should. Here are some things that will make packing and living in a res hall easier, all while contributing to a more sustainable lifestyle.

1. Get compact fluorescent bulbs for your lamps. I've lived in res halls for years, and I've learned that when you move lamps a lot, standard bulbs blow more often. The filaments just can't handle being jostled around in your car over and over again.  If you buy CFL bulbs, you won't have that problem. And they last FOREVER. Okay, not literally forever. But they do last up to ten times longer than a regular bulb. And they use about 75% less energy. See? Easier and greener.

2. Pack your stuff in reusable totes and storage bins. You can get reusable plastic totes inexpensively almost anywhere, in many shapes and sizes. You can get plain storage totes, sets of plastic drawers, totes designed to go under beds, and much more. You can use them not only to move, but as extra storage once you get to campus. I have a three drawer unit that I keep all of my toiletries and make up in. When I move, I tape the drawers shut and I'm ready. When I get to my new place, I don't even have to unpack it- I just pull the tape off and I'm good to go! You cut back on waste when you use reusable bins, make moving easier, and provide your room with valuable storage space. Sounds pretty good, huh? As an added bonus, an empty tote makes for a great recycling bin in your room- easy to clean, easy to store, and easy to pick up and take down to the recycling dumpster outside. And let's not forget, when it's time to move out you won't have to worry about finding boxes.

3. Bring a reusable water bottle to campus. This is way cheaper than buying cases of bottled water over and over again. Plus, who wants to carry a case of water up to their fourth floor room? Not me. You'll also be cutting down on your waste if you use a reusable bottle.

4. On the same note, bring reusable dishes to campus. Using paper plates and plastic cups is really wasteful. You can get dishes really inexpensively almost anywhere, and you won't have to take your trash out nearly as often.

4. Share things with your roommate. Especially appliances. You don't need two refrigerators, two microwaves, two coffee makers, or two TVs. Not only are you wasting money and energy when you each get all of these things, but you are wasting valuable space. The rooms here at LSU are very spacious compared to some others that I have seen, but they are still res hall rooms... if you share, you'll have more space to spread out, and that is priceless.

You do not have to be a martyr to live sustainably; there are simple things (like these that I've mentioned) that you can do to live a more sustainable lifestyle. In fact, making sustainable choices like these can actually make life easier, and save you money. Sounds like a good deal to me...

xoxo-- Girl in the Purple Polo

No comments:

Post a Comment