Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ten Weeks

I've been at LSU for ten weeks now. When I first planned on coming down here, I had no idea how quickly that ten weeks would go by. It doesn't seem like much time at all, now that it has passed, but it's all the time I have. You see, unlike most of you, I'm not here at LSU for a four-year degree; I am here for a ten-week internship, and today is my last day.

You may wonder who I am. I'll tell you a piece of my story. My name is Beth and I am a student at the University of Maine studying Higher Education. When I started looking for summer internships, I decided to find a completely new experience, so I applied with the Department of Residential Life here at LSU. I was selected for the position, and before I knew it I was on my way to Louisiana!

 Visiting the Louisiana Art and Science Museum in Baton Rouge

Now that my time here is coming to a close, I'd like to share some highlights from my summer. These are some of the things I enjoyed most about my time in Louisiana.

Mike the Tiger: I know I've mentioned this before, but I still can't get over how awesome it is that there is a real tiger living right on campus! Mike is a symbol not just of the athletics program here at LSU, but of what it means to be a part of the LSU community.

 Mike the Tiger chillin' in his enclosure

Greek Amphitheater: This is one of my favorite places on campus. The seating is great for a picnic or for enjoying a good book, and the paths through the trees around the theater are beautiful. I've really enjoyed just sitting here some mornings with a cup of tea and the newspaper. 

 LSU Greek Amphitheater

New Orleans: You can get from here to New Orleans on a bus for only $5, and it is more than worth it. I loved it there! You've probably noticed that I'm a bit of a geek, so I really enjoyed the historical elements of the city. Don't get me wrong, Bourbon Street is fun too, but I most enjoyed the architecture of the French Quarter, the Audobon Aquarium of the Americas (I got to hand feed a stingray!), visiting the cemeteries, and seeing all the places I had heard about for so long. I even got the chance to volunteer with the ARC of New Orleans. It was wonderful!

 French Quarter

The Gumbo Shop: Speaking of New Orleans, I had my favorite meal of the summer while I was there. Now, I have eaten a LOT of delicious food while I've been here in Louisiana- crawfish etouffee, red beans and rice, jambalaya, po' boys, catfish... you name it, I've tried it. While in New Orleans, I stopped into The Gumbo Shop for some lunch with a friend. I'm pretty sure that the only meal that could possibly beat that one is my mom's lasagna, and even that would be a close call (sorry, Mom!) I had a cup of crawfish and corn bisque and a roast beef po' boy. That was the best sandwich I have ever eaten- layers of rare roast beef, cheddar cheese, gravy, horseradish, lettuce, and tomato covered this sandwich. It was served with a pickle and potato chips. If you find yourself in New Orleans, you have to stop by and try one for yourself.

If you're in New Orleans, you have to get one of these!


Fireworks over the Mississippi: I can't tell you how awesome it was to watch the fireworks over the Mississippi. Sitting on the levee with hundreds of other people, listening to the sounds of the national anthem, hearing people yell in pride, and seeing soldiers and their families honored was very emotional. Times like that remind me how lucky I am to live in a place where I have the opportunity to travel thousands of miles for my education. I was reminded that regardless of where we are from, we have a lot in common.

Waiting on the levee for the fireworks to start

The people: Everyone here at LSU has been so kind and generous. They have gone out of their way to make sure I feel welcome. Their genuine hospitality has not only made me feel like a welcome guest, but has made me feel like I am a part of the larger university community. The staff and students I have worked with are what truly sets LSU apart. At the end of the day, a university is a university- they all have classrooms, outdoor spaces, and iconic buildings. Don't get me wrong- this campus is beautiful. But a pretty building doesn't make you feel at home; the people around you do. And the people here are exceptional. 


I can tell you from experience that coming to a new place is not always easy. Whether you went to high school right here in Baton Rouge, or have traveled thousands of miles to come here, there will be times that make you question your decision. Stick with it. Before you know it, you'll have made it a week, then ten weeks, then four years. You'll walk across the stage at graduation and think to yourself, "How did that happen?" You'll think back and reflect on what has passed- all the good times with friends and all the lessons learned about the world and yourself. You'll be a part of LSU, and LSU will be a part of you.

The time has come for me to pass the purple polo to someone new. Thank you all for a wonderful summer! Geaux Tigers!!!

xoxo-- Girl in the Purple Polo

No comments:

Post a Comment