Thursday, March 1, 2012

Money Management! $$$


I was sitting down thinking of a stressful topic that many college students face.  One issue that was brought to my attention was money.  Now money can be a great and exciting time, but it can also be a little weary.  For me, as soon as I receive my paycheck, I get really excited, then I disheartened and realize all the bills that need to be paid, the food I need to get, and the shoes, shirts, and jeans that are also…necessary.  Ok, well maybe not the clothes, but still, I would like to be able to do some shopping or hang out with friends without having to worry every single second whether or not I even have enough.
I was surfing through LSU’s website and noticed there is a Student Financial Management Center dedicated to students and money management and how to go about putting money to the side.
The Center’s website: http://www.sfmc.lsu.edu/ , gives facts and tips about college finances and statistics.  It also has a plan for financial success such as, earning, spending, saving and repaying money.  There are different charts you can do to really figure out what you are spending and if it is something that is a necessity. Throughout this website, you can also schedule an appointment with the staff to really sit down and see what your budget is, as well as figuring out what the best plan is for you.  Also, if interested, staff members of the Student Financial Management Center are able to do presentations within residence halls.  This is a great place to start if you’re having trouble balancing your financial status, and it will be one less thing you won’t need to stress about.
After speaking with one of the staff members from the Student Financial Management Center,  I noticed I was constantly spending money on food.  I like food a lot and I realized I already have a meal plan that I’m hardly using.  Basically, I was throwing away free money that could’ve been used for something else. 
So next time you’re going to go out on a date or with friends and grab a bite, why not go to the 5 or the 459?  It’s free, there’s always seating, and if you’re friend or date doesn’t have meal transfers, you can whip out your card and swipe again.  How easy and convenient, and at no cost to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment