Thursday, June 2, 2011

Did you know?

Hi everyone!
So, I've officially been in Louisiana for two weeks- weird. Time is just flying by this summer! Every time I think I'm getting used to the heat, it gets a little bit hotter or a little more humid. I suppose I'll adjust eventually. 

One thing you should all know about me is that I am a huge geek. I love history, random facts, and learning about anything and everything. I've been on a couple of tours since I got to LSU, and I'm happy to say that while I was incredibly hot the whole time, I learned quite a few interesting facts about LSU and some of the buildings that are on campus.



Journalism Building- This building was brought to its current location brick-by-brick from LSU's previous downtown Baton Rouge location, making it the OLDEST building on campus. 



East and West Laville- These buildings were named for Cpl. Germaine Laville, the first woman from LSU to die in WWII.



Acadian Hall- Acadian Hall was supposedly a Spanish Embassy at one point in time, which explains the unique architecture and courtyard.



Purple and Gold- Purple and Gold were not the original LSU colors- blue and white were. This was changed after football coach Charles Coates asked the fans to find a way to show their support during a game against then rival Tulane. They went to a local Mardi Gras store to buy apparel for the game- they couldn't get green, because that was a Tulane color, so they ended up buying out the store of purple and gold. Coach Coates liked the spirit these colors inspired so much that he soon had the players wearing them as well, and the rest is history.


Allen Hall murals- These murals were originally painted in the 1930's and 1940's by art students.They depict the agricultural and industrial development of Louisiana that took place during that time period. At one point, the murals were covered over, but they were found again in the late 1980's when improvements were being made to the building.



Tiger Stadium- Did you know that Tiger Stadium was originally a men's dormitory? Gov. Huey Long couldn't get the funding approved for a football stadium, so instead he built a round dormitory with a field above it. Pretty clever, eh? Today, the old dorm rooms are just used for storage, but I've heard tell that they will be renovated at some point for use as offices and public space. 



Earthquake Game- On October 8, 1988 LSU was playing Auburn when they scored the winning touchdown moments before the clock ran out. The fans let out such a roar of noise that the seismograph went off in the nearby Howe-Russell Geoscience Complex, marking this game in history as the Earthquake game. Don't believe me? Watch this and you will!



I'm sure that these are just a few of the interesting stories floating around about LSU, and I can't wait to hear more! Do you have any stories to tell?

xoxo-- Girl in the Purple Polo

No comments:

Post a Comment