Thursday, June 9, 2011

Summer Fun!

Being on any campus during the summer can be a little odd - there aren't that many students around, dining options are sometimes limited, and (as I've mentioned a few times before...) it is HOT. Don't let any of those things stop you from having a good time here at LSU though! In fact, I think that summer is the perfect time to be on campus! There aren't that many people around (no lines for ANYTHING), it's nice out, the trees and flowers are in bloom (just don't touch the magnolias, it makes them turn brown.... learned THAT the hard way) and your homework load, if you have homework at all, is significantly smaller than it usually is- what's not to love!

Here is a list of some summer fun I've found at LSU so far:

The Dairy Store- Who can resist a ice cream cone on a hot day? Everything sold at the Dairy Store comes right from the LSU farm, so it's not only delicious, but locally made and sustainable. Sounds great to me!


Chimes- I'm a bit of a foodie, so I've been sampling the local cuisine as much as possible. Chimes is definitely one of my favorites so far. Delicious food, great drinks, and all only a ten minute walk from my Res Hall... yes, please! Seriously though, Chimes serves some of the best catfish I've ever eaten. Go try it.




UREC- Being the foodie that I am, I've been sampling the local cuisine a little too much... so I decided to make my way over to the UREC. Summer memberships are CHEAP, and what better time to get in shape than during the summer? The facilities are excellent, whether you are a newbie to fitness (like me) or an experienced athlete. Need more info? go here!


The Quad- This is definitely one of the most beautiful places on campus- flowers are blooming, the fountain is flowing, and there is plenty of shade. This is a great place to take a walk, read a book, have a picnic, or otherwise just relax. 





Middleton Library- If you are a geek like me, then you will enjoy relaxing with a good book in the library. It's also a great place to cool down after a walk outside on the Quad.


The Lakes- Have I mentioned how beautiful this campus is? If you don't believe me, take a walk to one of the campus lakes! I personally love to drop a line in the water, but if fishing's not your thing you can get your tan on (wear sunscreen though!), or just walk around the shore.


The Parade Ground- Speaking of tanning, this is a great place to spread out a blanket and tan, or picnic with friends. You'll enjoy iconic views of the Memorial Tower and the Law building as well... what beats that?


Visit Mike- I don't think I'll ever get tired of walking over and watching Mike the Tiger play with that giant ball of his... (though most of the time he's napping).



Leisure Classes- Have you seen the new leisure studio in the Union? There is a whole list of classes that you can take in the summer just for fun... they include sculpting, painting, stained glass making, wine tasting (at Chimes, no less), and many more. Seems like a great way to meet some new people, or relax with friends! For more info, go here!


Your Res Hall- When all else fails, take some time to relax in your room! It's air conditioned and comfortable, so curl up and watch a movie, play a board game with friends, watch some silly YouTube videos (or checkout this LSU channel) or have a mini-dance party to your favorite song. You can even take an online class through the UREC website from the comfort of your own room.




So, reader... how do you stay busy during the summer at LSU?


xoxo-- Girl in the Purple Polo (and lots of sunscreen)




No comments:

Post a Comment